Immerse yourself in Istanbul’s six best sights on this guided full-day tour. Fit all of the attractions at the top of your bucket list into one packed day, with the help of an expert local guide. Stroll Istanbul’s historic Sultanahmet neighborhood, brimming with iconic buildings and storied streets. Tour the Blue Mosque, one of the most important sites in the Muslim world. Delve into the history of the Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, and Istanbul Hippodrome as well as the sunken palace of Basilica Cistern. And you won’t want to miss the and the bustling Grand Bazaar or savory 3-course lunch. This tour is limited to 14 people to ensure a quality tour experience.
- Full-day Istanbul sightseeing tour around the Sultanahmet neighborhood
- Learn about Istanbul’s history as Constantinople, capital of the Roman Empire
- Visit six top Istanbul attractions with a knowledgeable local guide
- Explore the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Istanbul Hippodrome, Basilica Cistern or Nakkas Cistern and the Grand Bazaar
- Refuel with a 3-course lunch at a traditional Istanbul restaurant in Sultanahmet
- Small-group tour with a maximum of 14 people ensures personalized attention from a guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Your European-side hotel or a meeting point (advised on reconfirmation) in central Istanbul
Returns to the original departure point at approximately 5 pm
Your action-packed full-day Istanbul sightseeing tour begins with a pickup from your European-side hotel or by meeting your guide at a central location. Start with a brief orientation to the day ahead and then set off in your comfortable coach to your first destination. Keep in mind the order of places may change from what is described below.
Venture to the Blue Mosque, one of the most stunning sights in Istanbul. Admire its six signature minarets and many ornate Iznik tiles that come together to form its dazzling blue walls. Listen as your expert guide tells you about the fascinating history of this Ottoman-era mosque. Then walk to the Hagia Sophia, an UNESCO-listed museum that was once a church and a mosque. Next, stroll over to Topkapi Palace, a crown jewel of Istanbul.
Explore its intricate corridors and intimate rooms where sultans once entertained elite guests—and were entertained by their harems. Your guide will point out interesting bits of backstory to the rooms, bringing to life this ornamental palace and museum. Midway through the day, break for a traditional Turkish lunch (see Itinerary section for sample menu). Move on to the Hippodrome, where you can admire a granite Egyptian obelisk that was a gift to Istanbul. At one point, this location marked the epicenter of the city’s sports life and also served as a political center.
Then it’s on to Istanbul’s sunken palace, the Basilica Cistern, one of the biggest ancient cisterns in Istanbul. Follow your guide as he tells fills you in on the history of these historic places. Your final stop is also one of the most iconic: the Grand Bazaar. Stroll through its colorful alleys, more than 60 in all, in awe of the crafts, smells, sounds and sights. As one of the most famous souks in the world, you won’t want to miss this. Duck into leather, jewelry, and ceramic stores as well as spice stalls and other unique outlets. Say hello to the friendly local shop owners and craftspeople.
After, bid farewell to your guide and the rest of your group when your tour concludes with a convenient drop-off at your European-side hotel or in central Istanbul. Please note: Hagia Sophia is closed on Mondays and the Grand Bazaar is closed Sundays. If your tour is on one of these days, an alternate, such as Chora Museum or another market, may be visited instead. Topkapi Palace closed on Tuesdays, will be replaced with Istanbul Archaeology Museum).
Sample Menu: First course:
- Pastry stuffed with cheese or sausage served alongside a seasonal salad
- Main course (choice of one):
- Turkish veal kebab
- Grilled chicken
- The specialty of the day
- Seasonal fruit
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Minimum age is 4 years
- Children 18 years and under must be accompanied by an adult
- Cover-ups and head scarves are provided at the Blue Mosque
- Not recommended for participants with walking difficulties
For a full refund, cancel at least 1 week in advance of the start date of the experience.